DASNY's State Environmental Quality Review Process
The DASNY team has extensive public- and private-sector expertise in environmental management and review and cultural resources assessment matters. Our team will explain all facets of the State Environmental Quality Review (SEQR) process, and will provide guidance on the status and management of any ongoing or previous SEQR environmental reviews that our clients may be (or have been) involved in with other governmental agencies or local municipalities.
Historic Preservation Laws
With respect to compliance with the New York State Historic Preservation Act of 1980 (SHPA), especially the implementing regulations of section 14.09 of the Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation Law (PRHPL), DASNY obtains an OPRHP determination regarding the proposed project’s impact, if any, on historic and/or archaeological resources listed in or eligible for listing in the State and National Registers of Historic Places.
State Smart Growth Compliance Review
The State Smart Growth Public Infrastructure Policy Act (SSGPIPA) requires state infrastructure agencies to determine that a public infrastructure project is, to the extent practicable, consistent with the relevant criteria specified in SSGPIPA prior to approving, undertaking, supporting or financing a public infrastructure project. This includes providing grants, awards, loans or assistance programs in furtherance of a project. A Smart Growth Impact Statement Assessment Form (SGISAF) must be completed for each project.
OEA Communications and Follow-Up
DASNY attends client meetings to address issues that may impact environmental reviews. Our team regularly meets with our clients' consultants and other governmental agencies to address interagency issues and with representatives of the various municipalities involved in environmental reviews.
Examples of federal, state, and local agencies DASNY interfaces with include:
- New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (NYSDEC)
- New York State Department of Health (NYSDOH)
- New York State Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation (OPRHP)
- United States Army Corps of Engineers (USACOE)
- United States Environmental Protection Agency (USEPA)
- United States Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD)
- New York City Department of Environmental Protection (NYCDEP)
- New York City Department of City Planning (NYCDCP)
- New York City Planning Commission (CPC)
- New York City Department of Housing Preservation and Development (NYCHPD)
- New York City Landmarks Preservation Commission (LPC)
- Town, Village and City Planning and Zoning Boards throughout New York State