DASNY oversees a portfolio of more than 750 construction projects worth more than $6 billion. During fiscal year 2011-2012, DASNY spent more than $990.2 million on construction projects.
The Dormitory Authority offers a full range of construction services, acting as the customer's agent to protect the customer's interests during both design and construction phases. Beginning with the evaluation and selection of an architect, the Dormitory Authority assists the customer by reviewing documents for ease of construction, code compliance, and life-safety issues. We review plans and specifications, solicit and evaluate bids, and hold contracts on behalf of the customer. Once construction starts, our on-site field staff inspects the work and ensures that the project is being built right. The Project Manager matches project payments to construction progress and enforces the project schedule. DASNY handles day-to-day construction coordination issues and interpretations of contract documents. From design to completion of construction, DASNY manages the project to ensure that it is built on time and within budget.
If you have any Project Management needs, please contact Stephen Curro, P.E., Managing Director of Construction.
In addition, DASNY offers services to help customers manage their construction projects.
DASNY Certificate of Need Services
In November 2011, DASNY signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with the Department of Health (DOH) that allows DASNY to perform architectural drawing reviews associated with the Department’s Certificate of Need application process. By virtue of this MOU, health care providers certified under Article 28 of the Public Health Law may enter into a contract to have DASNY review their drawings and provide a recommendation to DOH regarding the conformance of the drawings with applicable codes, rules and regulations. DOH will accept DASNY’s recommendation in lieu of the review currently performed by internal DOH staff.
Using DASNY to perform this function gives health care providers an option to receive an expedited review of their design drawings that potentially can lead to an earlier start date for a construction project. DASNY charges a flat fee for this service based on the construction value of the project.
DASNY's Purchasing Department uses government prices and competitive bidding to buy the furnishings and equipment required for a new building. In finding the best prices, the Dormitory Authority can use public bidding, its own term contracts, or those in force with the State Office of General Services, the City University of New York, or the federal General Services Administration. The Authority's Purchasing staff reviews proposals to ensure that the quotation is for commodities that meet specifications.
Purchasing services also include coordinating the delivery and installation at the appropriate time during construction. The Authority pays vendors directly and resolves any disputes that arise over missing or damaged items. The goal is to ensure that the customer receives the furnishings and equipment needed for the new building within the established budget.
Contact Eugene Basle, Chief, Purchasing and Interior Design at (518)257-3583, to learn how these services can meet your needs.
DASNY's Purchasing & Interior Design Services | PDF
The Dormitory Authority also provides Interior Design services to customers select the furnishings and equipment needed in order to operate a building.
DASNY's Interior Design staff works with the customer to develop a furnishings program that best meets the facility's functional, operational and budget requirements. In selecting the furnishings and equipment needed to operate the building, Authority interior designers:
- Review the architectural drawings for concept and content;
- Review and evaluate the furniture budget;
- Determine whether existing furniture can be re-used, if necessary;
- Evaluate furnishings for quality and performance in light of its expected use;
- Select the interior furnishings - carpet, furniture, window treatments, lighting, and accessories - that best meet the requirements;
- Prepare scale furniture layout drawings and presentation material boards for the client's approval;
- Prepare final cost estimates and the specifications needed for bidding;
- Provide installation schedules and drawings and make a final inspection of the completed project.
Contact Eugene Basle, Chief, Purchasing and Interior Design (518)257-3583 to learn how these services can meet your needs.
DASNY's Purchasing & Interior Design Services | PDF
Real Property Services
Real Property Services provides personalized service to customers, focusing on locating and evaluating suitable properties, negotiating purchases or leases, and monitoring/ coordinating project development.
- Site Search: helps define needs, then locates and evaluates suitable sites.
- Leasing: analyzes alternatives and negotiates leases.
- Appraisals/Valuation: determines value, either through in-house appraisal or selected outside consultants.
- Acquisition: coordinates acquisition and title transfer.
- Negotiations: negotiates leases, options, easements and acquisitions.
- Property Management: monitors lease compliance and expiration; resolves disputes.
- Coordination: coordinates appraisers, engineers, architects and customer's from feasibility stage through design and construction
The broad range of Real Property Services can be custom-tailored to meet any customer's specific needs. Contact Richard Wynne, Senior Real Property Analyst at (212)273-5034.